Minimum requirements needed for successful completion of the Ph.D. program in the Pharmaceutical and Pharmacological Sciences Pathway established by the Graduate School, HSC Office of Research and Graduate Education, and the Pharmaceutical Sciences faculty, are as follows:
- 1st Year: completion of the undifferentiated biomedical sciences core curriculum, as described at: http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/resoff/graduate-education/phd-programs/biomedical-sciences/common-core-curriculum/ and http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/resoff/graduate-education/phd-programs/biomedical-sciences/1st-year-handbook/
- Complete PPS pathway course requirements – at least 3 advanced courses of choice.
- Every semester attend two 1 credit hour required courses: graduate seminar and a journal club.Several different discipline-oriented journal club courses are available.
- Mentors are responsible for arranging teaching experiences to meet this requirement in consultation with the student’s dissertation committee and the PPS Program Director.
- Identify a Ph.D. committee chair/mentor by the end of the 1st year in the program.
- Appoint a Ph.D. Committee by the end of the Fall semester of Year 2. The committee must be comprised of at least 5 members and the major advisor must be a regular member ofthe Graduate Faculty.
- Successfully pass the written part of the doctoral qualifying exam (Part I) by the end of the Summer semester of Year 2.
- Successfully pass the oral part of the doctoral qualifying exam (Part II - dissertation proposal defense) within 6 months of passing Part I of the qualifying exam.
- After passing part II of the doctoral qualifying exam, candidates are allowed no more than 5years to complete the remaining degree requirements.
- At least one accepted 1st author publication in a peer-reviewed journal from your research is required.
- Write a doctoral dissertation at the conclusion of your research project.The dissertation must be submitted to your dissertation committee 10 business days before defense.
- Orally defend the dissertation (public defense). Defense must be posted/announced 2weeks before your defense.
- Submit the final approved dissertation electronically as required by the University.